Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Gear Review: Goosefeet Down Socks

Gear Review: Goosefeet Down Socks

Product Information

Manufacturer: Goosefeet
Year of Manufacture: 2011
URL: http://goosefeet.webs.com/


Listed weight: Size Large (Men's 10-12) 2.4 oz.
Weight as delivered with +25% down: 2.65 oz. (77g)
Length: 12 Inches (30.48cm)
Width: 5.5 Inches (14cm)
Packed Size: 7" X 3.5" X 3.5"
Loft with +25% down; +/- 1 inch (2.54cm)
MSRP: $60, add $4 for +25% down
Reviewer purchased this item


Outer Material: .9 oz. Ripstop Nylon
Insulating Fill: 800+ Premium Goose Down
Colors Available: Black, or (Gray, Royal Blue, Denim Blue, Red, Olive) for an additional $5
Sizes Available: XS, S, M, L, XL all in unisex, but check site for shoe size conversion
Cottage Manufactured in the U.S.A.

Manufacturer description:
These Down Socks are made from lightweight 0.9 ounce per square yard Ripstop nylon and 800+ fill premium goose down. They have elastic ankle cuffs and come with a stuffsack.

Each pair of socks is stuffed with 1 ounce of 800 fill power down. You can add extra down for increased loft and warmth if you wish. Extra down fill in the L and XL is recommended but not required.


Initial Review:
I ordered these from the website. There was a warning that there would likely be a shipping delay because each pair was made to order. I had no problem with this, but it needs to be said. I reviewed the order confirmation email several days later and noticed that I had mistakenly ordered the size XS. I contacted the manufacturer and was able to get my order switched at no additional cost. My item arrived about 2 weeks after ordering. The booties were well sewn, with no loose stitching. The cuffs were of good snugness and the interior seams were unnoticeable(by my feet). I tested them in my bed that night and my feet sweated slightly. Keep in mind that the room temperature was about 67F degrees.

Field Test:
I used them on an overnighter at Devil's Den State Park (AR) where the low temperature was 36F degrees, in conjuntion with my Western Mountaineering Summerlite 32. Since my body fills out the bag snugly, I was essentially looking to achieve warm feet even if I compressed the down in my bag. It worked. I was happy enough with this product to use this combination on a week long AT trip in late March.

Long Range Report:
I have used these Down Socks/Booties on about a 12-15 nights, with temperatures ranging from 25F to 50F. The thing that never changed was that my feet were consistently warmer than my rear end. The loft has not changed at all, even after packing them repeatedly into the small stuff sack. I recommend storing them in a much larger stuff sack between uses. I hang mine in my closet. These are not meant to be walked on, so do not think of them as a camp shoe. If that is your objective, look elsewhere. These are simply a lounge/sleep sock.




Summary

Goosefeet impressed me with service and quality. I really liked that they have created a specialty item and are unabashed by it. The quality is unmatched by any down bootie that I have seen elsewhere. This is the kind of item that I had previously considered making myself, but there is no way that I could have created such a professionally sewn item. This will be in my pack any time the temperature will be below 45F degrees.

Things I like:

1. Durable. (for an item made of SUL materials)


2. Well designed
3. Small and SuperUltraLight
4. Cottage made by an actual backpacker

Things I don't like:

1. Slower arrival than could be had from companies keeping the item in stock 24/7
2. Not designed to be used as a camp shoe

2 comments:

  1. I love my GooseFeet, I think the lowest temp I've used mine in was around 19°F and still had warm feet. Ben does a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added another 4 nights of using them and they were perfect, once again. Any hiker with cold feet overnight would be well served with a pair of these. I'm considering Goosefeet's new cuben down vest.

    ReplyDelete