Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Creating a kit: First Aid

     Every outdoorsman plans on surviving whatever nature(or their companion) throws at them. But for some of us, nature is likely to throw more(or more often) than for others. Sure, you could reduce your pack weight even more by dispensing with a first aid kit all together. But that would eventually ruin a trip, or endanger lives. Yours, or your rescuer(s). Face it, you could be burned by boiling water from your stove(me), or slice open your finger. Break a nail while whacking downed firewood against a rock(Cory). Or any number of new and exciting ways of self induced pain and suffering. Or nature could attack you. Rabid squirrels, bears, falling rocks or tree limbs. Mudslides, tornadoes, high winds, etc. Or blisters, chafing, twisted joints, etc. I personally have to contend with allergies and Asthma. 
     All of these things have affected hikers for years. Although every person has their own way of dealing with things of this nature, the solution is preparedness. Preparedness is just like any other aspect of backpacking. You can do it through gear or knowledge. I recommend both. I learned a lot about these subjects in Boy Scouts. I earned First Aid, Wilderness Survival, Emergency Preparedness, and Lifesaving merit badges. Also, both a first aid and CPR certification at various times. All of these things help fill out a knowledge base that makes me more comfortable on solo trips into the wilderness. There are many good books available on the subjects(example), and in some places, classes are offered as well. Just contact the Red Cross for information on first aid and CPR training.
      As far as what physical items I carry into the bush, it varies. The length of trip, distance into the woods, or who and how many companions are with me all enter into the equation. If I am only 2 miles from the truck on a dayhike, I may dispense altogether with the extra poundage. But if I am headed 20 miles in the backcountry, I may be loaded for bear. If my son is with me, I may pack the spiderman band-aids instead of the plain ones. You get the drift. When I am in a group of experienced hikers, I prefer to carry only my share of the combined first aid kit if everyone is willing to do the same.
      For a solo backpacking trip into the backcountry I always carry the following: 4-200mg ibuprofen/day(for both pain and as anti-inflammatory), 3-2pack 4"x4" guaze pads, medical tape, 2 small band-aids, 1 zyrtec/day, 2 to 4 anti-diarhea pills, neosporin ointment, and 2-4 sudafed. These fit into a small ziplock bag. To this, I add my albuterol inhaler in a pouch on my shoulder straps. I always carry a plain red bandanna that has various first aid uses as well.  
     Other things that would be good in a (minimalist) personal first aid kit are an ace bandage roll, ace brand knee or ankle braces, moleskin, super glue(works as stitches), butterfly strips, needle/thread, calamine ointment(I prefer Ivarest), band-aid gel, tiger balm(I'm old), and aloe gel. There are many other things that would make sense, but this about covers what I have seen used in the field. I will say that I once participated in the rescue of a 11 year old who fell from a 15' bluff, and with exception of a backboard and neckbrace, these things did the job. But the kid got air-evacuated anyway, so those items were covered. And I'm not carrying them with me regardless.
     If you are too lazy to put together your own kit, there are some available commercially. Keep in mind that many resemble a smaller version of an EMT pack, complete with things you aren't wanting to carry. They could be stripped down and customized. Adventure Medical Kits are the most commonly found on the trails I hike. I advise all of you to read this blog(and subscribe). It is a good review of 3 of their kits that would work in my part of the world. I am uncomfortable with the small amount of pills included, though. That's an easy fix. My buddy Turtle was carrying one of these kits when I boiled my leg back in October. It got the job done, even though the burn cream was out of date. My point is that there are many things in there that you will never use. Turtle told me that he had owned the kit for many years, and the only thing that needed replacing was the butterfly strips. Well, and now the gauze and burn cream.
     This is not intended to be an expert guide. I only wanted to remind you all that this is neccesary, and hear your feedback. I welcome comments on what is missing. I know that at least one of my readers is WAY more qualified to speak on this subject. So throw me a bone here. What items am I missing? What is your field guide to first aid? What training is easily available?

4 comments:

  1. I have thought about this a lot and have opted for essentially no first aid kit. I know, Scopa not carry a first aid kit! Oh the humanity. But hear me out. The pain and inflammation cured form 800mg of IB is almost zill. Med tape is great... in a medical environment. It’s too narrow and not sticky enough for the trail. 4x4's are great for heavy bleeding, but so are t-shirts. 4x4’s are sterile and t-shirts are not but if its bad enough that your worried about dying of infection you need to get off the trail asap. You will eather be off the trail soon enough that you don’t die of blood loss and a doctor can worry about infection or you will die of blood loss not an infection. Neosporin is great for speeding up wound healing something I am not worried about on a backpacking trip. 4 pepto pills is one dose, good for 4 hours. Four hours is not long enough to make much of a difference. If your diarrhea lasts very long you need to get off the trail and to a doctor no matter what. Zyrtec, inhalers, and other prescriptions are person specific and each person needs to decide what to bring. I carry duct tape, mole skin, and a bit of telpha (non sticking sterile dressing for covering exposed flesh to prevent infection) on a long trip. Duct tape and some toilet paper is a band-aid. Duct tape and telpha cover a burn or large cut to prevent infection on a trip longer than a weekend. Less than that and I’m not very concerned about infection. Use basic hygiene and you’ll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! I value the advice. Taking it all into consideration. For the record, I wasn't referring to Pepto. I was talking about generic anti-diarrhea meds. And duct tape is king. Will likely edit that in. I do carry it, just forgot to add it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jake on this because I've carried most of it...but Scopa has a good point as well. However, I don't go anywhere without Tylenol and Benadryl. I find Tylenol (I'm allergic to ibuprofen) can kill most throbbing pains enough to allow you to sleep. Benadryl...again, it's easier to sleep without some crazy itch...is Zyrtec an anti-histamine as well? And cloth medical tape is my last must-have. I find it's great in many situations and may even be lighter than duct tape. I guess I've never had a tough enough situation that the med tape wouldn't work for but the duct would have.

    My thoughts? I take what I'm partial to and leave the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say the anti-diarrheal is probably the most overlooked but handy item on the list. It's probably the most forgotten part of any kit, weather for hiking or a road trip. Hiking, like road trips, tend to involved a changed diet that you are not used to. Frank's right that you might need to get off the trail, but knowing how fast you can get dehydrated and the potentially limited water supply, I say don't spare the Immodium Pills.

    I don't have allergy problems, per se, and I can only think of about twice a year I use ibrupofen or Tylenol...it honestly just doesn't do anything for me.

    ReplyDelete