Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Creating a Kit: Pack

     The idea of backpacking is less about carrying the gear, more about GOING. From the dawn of mankind, those critters must have been thinking,"I need to go there, so how do I transport all of my needed gear?" So it goes without saying, that we should aim to carry exactly(and only) what we will want to have when we reach our destination. I usually picture setting up camp, and imagine what my gaze will fall upon when I get there. Will I have time to lounge around in camp, or just enough time to crawl into the sack for the much needed "Old Man Muscle Reset"? This helps me decide which items are must haves, and which are luxuries, or completely unwanted.  Choosing the makeup of my pack is the way I decide which pack to carry. I still have a 1993 North Face Indri II, which will hold something like 7000c.i.+, but I never want to carry that much gear again. I only keep it because it really was a great pack, and I can imagine having to carry most of my son's gear on a trip someday soon. I also have a Lowe Alpine Expedition 65L+15L that is very sturdy, but very heavy(7lbs, 2oz.). I'd also like to retire this pack, but I may still have use for a pack that big. My latest is an Osprey Exos 46L. I love this one. Very light(2lbs, 5oz.) for a pack with the features it has. It actually has a very thin external frame, but you'd have to really look in order to lay eyes on it. My goal is to be able to use this pack for trips of 4-7 days. In wintertime, it may not be possible due to the need for warmer clothing, sleeping bag, and a bulkier pad. In the summer, your camping style may change completely. For warm weather trips, I'm trying to decide between a tarp, a tarptent, or a hammock/tarp setup. But I'll likely remain a ground camper in winter. I don't mind springing for nice gear that suits my purposes, but like most, I am budget minded. I subscribe to the theory that a hiker will have a natural tendency to fill whatever backpack they pick up. So for the love of God, pick up a small one. Maybe a 25-35L for an over nighter, a 35-55L for a weekender, and up to a 65L for an extended trip. I realize that some people need to carry a 0deg bag, skis, crampons, climbing gear etc, so you guys can disregard these standards. Realistically for 3 season trips in the Ozarks, the gear list will not change much. Quantities of food, water, and spare clothing will be all that requires more space in the bag. No matter how minimalist a person gets, just remember that you must choose between comfort while hiking, and comfort while in camp. The pack is just the vessel.
     Unless of course, you are using a Moonbow Gear Powerpac.
         "The Powerpac is a modular camping system which combines the bulk of your camping gear into one integrated unit. It's a pack that uses your ground pad and sleeping bag and converts onto a shelter."  http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Powerpacks/1powerpac.html

     And this is the reason that you should consider all of the gear that will make up your kit. If the key to lightweight backpacking is having multiple use items proliferating your gear list, then surely this is worth looking into. It replaces the pack with a sleep system and shelter. Basically, it trims the fat. Now, if I could only speak to someone who uses one. Otherwise, I will always need room in the pack for my sleep system and shelter.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah man, I need a mid-size pack also. I already have a Mountain HardWear Sortie 39L (3lb 7oz) and a Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre 75+20 (6 lb 12 oz) so I REALLY need a lightweight, midsizer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd look at the Golite Jam 50L, 1lb,13oz, or the Gregory Z55. The Gregory is a nice pack, but weighs about 4 lbs depending on your size. I'd probably buy the Golite if I didn't already have a sweet 46L bag.

    http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=151002110&mc=176&t=&lat=

    http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/83/z-55

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to look into one myself, but as usual, I've got other expenses to take care of. Need to keep an eye out on Craigslist. What I have to sacrifice in pack weight, I'll make up for in other areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming from the standpoint of a chick that is probably going to be hiking a lot next summer with a 1 year old on her back. I'm going to concentrate on yes trimming the fat as Jake suggests but also building up the cardio and leg endurance. I have found that I love spinning classes and also the gym I go do has trekking classes. This might be a good option as well as going light and only carrying the essentials. The following is a really old article about things to be concerned about when doing really tough hikes and a little on how to get in shape for them.

    http://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/30/travel/practical-traveler-getting-in-shape-for-rough-treks.html?pagewanted=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that link. I read it. The interesting thing to me is that these poor folks purchase it like I would a cruise. They're missing out on the planning, which is intensely exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got my new pack and yes it is just too big! But between carrying my 6 month olds stuff or all the required gear here in the winter I didn’t think I could go with much less than the Osprey Aether 85. Luckily its compression straps are designed in a way to allow you to compress it almost flat eliminating the need to fill it up so it will ride properly on a trip.

    ReplyDelete